HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dragons, Shadows and Maidens

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Raven
Main account

PostSubject: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:21 pm

We've skipped ahead a few (hundred) Years, Claire now an adult is attending a Uni to see how far along humans have come in Dragon knowledge and if she can learn anything new, what she finds surprises her

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 am

He was late, again, and on the first lecture. Hurrying through the campus, Alex darted around the corner, glad that at least he knew his way around the uni this time. It had been not as much fun last year. Going up the stairs two at a time, he finally found the lecture room and slipped in. It was luckily a room where there was a door at the back of the room, so he wasn't disturbing anyone else by coming in late. Spotting an empty chair next to a black haired woman he didn't recognise, he slid into the chair, tuning in to whatever the lecturer was saying. he'd been looking forward to this class for a while, wanting to learn everything he could about dragon behaviour. It was so much more interesting than anything else, and he was quickly working out that it was going to be his job at some point. he couldn't think of anything better than travelling the sea looking for dragons to study and keep safe.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 pm

She’d been on time, you didn’t live for roughly three hundred years without understanding the importance of being on time, still Jules had suggested this course and perhaps he was right, perhaps there were new things humanity had finally picked up on since her last time in a university about twenty years ago now. Organizing her notes neatly by color, she brushed her black hair back as it’d escaped her braid already, despite being mostly straight it seemed to hate being plaited back each day. Half listening to the lecturer speaking and thinking instead of the way her ship had felt beneath her feet a few days ago the green eyes of the woman blinked coming back to the present at the sound of the doors hinges creaking open. Glancing over and noticing a stranger make his way over and sit down next to her, disliking the intrusion into her space, Claire coldly ignored him continuing to make her detailed notes while her mind once again drifted towards the sea. It was the full moon that night and as per usual the strange faint ache of her heart filled her, she needed to get back to Angus and get cracking onto that family tree so they could see for sure if her father had selkie in him or not.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Making sure to stay quiet, Alex fiddled absently with his pen, taking occasional notes. It seemed like it was mostly revision for him, so he was free to daydream a little, thinking about what was happening back home, if his mum was going to keep being alright with him away again. Remembering things that he had to do, he wrote them on his arm so he wouldn't forget, as per usual, and was glad when the lecture was finally over. He'd only arrived to the campus late the night before, and he hadn't even unpacked yet. Giving the woman beside him a quick glance, he decided that unpacking was probably the more important thing to do rather than striking up a potentially awkward conversation, and he headed out, pushing his hair out of his face absently. At least it was a nice walk from the lecture halls to the college rooms that they were offered, so he'd be getting some sort of exercise while he was here again. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he hummed softly to himself as he headed back, glad that he didn't have anything else on that day. He could get himself more settled on the floor he'd been given his room on, and maybe see if he could meet the other occupants.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Finally the boring droning was over, closing her books and tucking them away she didn’t pay much attention to the male sitting beside her as he got up and left. Looking forward to heading back to her room and perhaps calling her father, Claire swung her bag over her shoulder, she had a vague idea of the place having turned up a couple of days ago. No matter she’d know it all well enough soon, her thoughts turned back to the horses, how were they? It had only been a few days sure and she’d been away for longer but she always missed her horses when she wasn’t with them. The fact that this place was close to the sea was a relief, during the night of the full moon she’d wade through the water, thankfully more than used to its effects and having enough human in her for the tempting song of the sea to be dulled. Exiting the halls and glancing up at the cloud free sky, the pleasant day enjoyable enough for a slight smile flick onto her features. Returning to the hall in time to spot the man from the lecture poking about rather curiously she couldn't help but roll her eyes slightly, wandering forward half hoping she might be able to get into her room before she was forced into social interaction

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Propping the door to his room open, since there was no one else around for the time being, Alex hummed along to his music as he unpacked and worked out things. Taking a glance at his to do list on his arm, he crossed off the unpack entry, and wandered barefoot to the shared kitchen. Making some toast and a cup of coffee, he explored the rest of the floor they were on, wondering who else would be living on the floor for the year with him. It was going to be interesting, that was for sure. Coming across the woman he'd found a seat next to, he perched on the arm of the couch he happened to be next to. “G'day,” he said cheerfully, munching on his toast. “I'm Alex, nice to meet you.” It would be good to get to know who else was on the hall, especially if they were going to be in the same classes as each other.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:58 pm

However despite her hope that she might reach her room unnoticed, a cheerful voice called out to her, green eyes flicked over to the man as he introduced himself as Alex. She would have loved just to ignore him and flee to her room however Jules had asked her to try and be somewhat social, so she tacked a half smile onto her face and nodded "G'day; I'm Claire pleasure to meet you as well" the shadow master studied the other person quietly unsure of exactly what else to say. Now that she was distracted by listening she saw him properly, although she kept her shadows out of his head long having taught herself how to block out the thoughts of others around her. She was unaware of the world weariness that gave itself away in her gaze, "I guess we're practically neighbors then" she'd try to be social for her fathers sake so he didn't have to worry about her being out here without any one to talk to.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

She seemed uneasy with meeting strangers, which was okay by him. He could kind of understand that, even if it was easy for him. Staying where he was, he gave a slight nod. “Yeah, looks like it. What are you studying here? Something to do with the ocean as well? It’s a fascinating place, isn’t it.” Maybe this would help settle her a little, and maybe they’d be able to find some common ground to work with before it got too awkward. Somehow reminded, he made a mental note to call his mum when he next had the chance. She’d like to know how he was going, and he liked to keep in touch with her. After all, they were quite close, having only grown closer when his dad had up and left them hanging.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:57 pm

A slight smile managed to make itself known on her features when he mentioned the ocean "Mainly ocean dragons and other hardly known about ocean creatures. It is fascinating, we know more about space than we do the waters of our own planet" there were some horse courses on the side as well, ever the over achiever she'd opted to take a fair few courses in the hope that she'd be far too busy to consider socializing. While talking about the ocean her features had gentled from their cold distant look, while her green eyes had lit up and sparkled, still not that fond of the idea of getting close to anyone she supposed she might as well make the effort with this particular male as at least he seemed interested in the ocean as she was and it'd keep her father happy that she had someone to talk to.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:32 am

Perking up as they got into a discussion about the ocean, Alex was kept happily occupied until they finished it, and he’d finished his toast. He really should finish his unpacking, and it seemed like chatting with her a while had let her loosen up a bit. Checking the time, he pushed his hair out of his face, considering everything he still had to do. “Need any help unpacking or anything?” he offered with a friendly smile. “I should get back to mine, then I need to call my mum. Nice chatting with you though. It looks like it’ll be a great year learning about sea dragons and such together. I can’t wait.” He’d been looking forward to this anyway, but now that he’d found a fellow student who was just as passionate towards the ocean as he was, it was promising to be so much better. Rinsing up his plate, he wandered back into his room and kept going with his unpacking, happy to help her if she needed anything else.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Shaking his head as he asked if she needed any help he was soon gone himself heading back towards where his room was, returning to her room she fiddled about unpacking keeping her door closed so her shadows could help out and spread out throughout the room. Humming quietly to herself she rubbed River behind one of her horns before settling down and phoning the familiar number, Jules would be wanting to know what was going on and how she was settling in. As usual she was unable to keep still once she'd dialled the number and so began pacing around in circles, her shadows now that they'd helped unpack settled down in various places. Hearing the familiar voice a proper smile adorned her face "Hey dad, just checking in"

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 am

He'd just been walking out the door when the phone rang, and Julian scowled at it grumpily. He hated answering the phone in the middle of his workday, but he had been expecting a call from Claire, so he supposed that he had to answer it. “G’day, Julian speaking.” Perking up when it was his bear, he leaned on the bench comfortably, more relaxed now. “Hey kiddo. How’s it going? First class was today, wasn’t it?” Supportive of everything she did, he hoped that this time of going to uni wold result in at least one friend on the other side. She did worry him, being so distant from everyone. While he knew the reasons why, it still didn’t make him happy, and he was always hoping that she’d at least give it her best shot.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm

The familiar voice coming through the phone soothed her, it seemed like it'd been ages since she'd talked to her dad. "Yeah it was okay, stuff I already know again, hopefully once we get further into the material it becomes stuff i don't know" either way getting some more qualifications would keep her busy for a while. She had no real intent on letting him know about the self proclaimed Alex just yet, after all there was no real point, he was barely an acquaintance and if she knew her father he'd get over excited over it. Flipping open a note pad she used her shoulder to keep the phone to her ear while she absently doodled making random shapes and patterns with the pen "How're the ponies? and the love birds?" She referred to Renee and Killian as the lovebirds, it was a safer term than the two dragons. Soon growing bored of doodling she resumed walking around, sitting down, getting up, peering out the window or even leaning against the wall all the while she talked to him

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Holding the phone between his ear and his shoulder, Julian continued with making the reins that he was plaiting together. “Good, good. Hopefully you enjoy it all this time around again, too.” He didn’t bother to broach the topic of if she’d met anyone yet. That could wait til she was more settled in. “Know if you’ll be dealing hands on with dragons yet, or no idea?” Frowning at the supple leather when it tangled, he made a soft annoyed hum before answering her questions. “Yeah, the ponies are going good. The lovebirds are fine, safe and sound. I think their latest clutch is grown and off now. And your brother’s mare is growing fat on air, I swear.” Amusement coloured his tones as he filled her in on everything.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Listening to him as he asked a question about dealing with dragons, Claire shrugged "Later in the year they reckoned" going quiet as he mentioned that the horses were going good and that the two dragons who'd been like a nother pair of parents to her had successfully raised a clutch of eggs. Lying down on her bed and watching the ceiling her father mentioning her brothers mare being fat again gave her an idea "What about breaking Millie in to cart? since he's not a fan of riding? It'd be good exercise for her and something for them to do together besides eat themselves sick" unbraiding her hair and letting it spread out around her head claire's green gaze was somewhat sad. She already missed home, there was nothing like her room, and being able to go see the horses whenever she liked, this place was away from the sea as well which meant she didn't have much here apart from he rshadows

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Nodding, Julian considered her suggestion. “Not a bad idea, I’ll suggest it to him. He went to another show over the weekend, did pretty well. Got a ribbon.” He was proud of the boy, and of Claire for accepting him so much. She hadn’t done it with any of the other fosters, but apparently Jory had been a different case. Guessing that she was homesick, he gentled his voice. “You’re gonna be okay, bear. Learning new things, within a half hour of the beach. And you know I’m always a phone call away. Call me whenever you need me.”

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Brightening up as her father mentioned the fact that her brother had gone to a show with his mare millie and come back with a ribbon, the mare had good conformation and manners so she often did well at shows. They were good for the boys confidence, it was something that was easy to him when it came to getting his mare looking good and getting her to do things inhand for him, as usual her father could tell what was going on in her head "Yeah, Thanks dad" she likely wouldn't however as she knew how busy he'd be at the farm without her there to help out. Hopefully she'd learn heaps and be able to apply it at home like she'd applied all of the things she'd learnt at various universities about horses, from farrier training, to vet learning, to horse dentistry to chiropractor and body work and more which meant when she was at the farm she often saved her father on vet bills. She wasn't quite sure what it was that had made jory different from the other fosters she often ignored, he was the only one who she had any contact with and whom she regarded as a brother.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Pleased that she sounded a bit more comfortable now, Julian continued the casual conversation with his daughter, trying to ease her so that she’d be more relaxed with her study. He’d always encouraged her to do what she wanted, and if that meant going away to study, or sail the seas, then he wasn’t going to stop her. She’d just always be welcome back home when she was ready.

It’d been a couple of weeks since classes had started, and everyone in the halls seemed to have settled down nicely. Having made something for dinner, Alex was sprawled on the couch with his meal, flicking through the tv channels to see if there was anything at all remotely interesting on it. There didn’t seem to be, so he eventually just flicked it off, considering what else he could do.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 am

She’d kept to herself, although she’d spent a bit of time with Alex, he sat next to her in a couple of his classes and so they’d often wander back together. She’d taught him a little of her vast knowledge of dragons and he’d been fascinated, she’d been in her room reading and had lost track of the time until River badgered her to go get something to eat. Grumbling about her dragon being a bossy britches, Claire got up and stretched luxuriously, brushing her fingers through the dragons thick fluffy stripe that ran down the creatures spine. Exiting the bedroom and closing her door behind her, she wandered down the hall with the intention of making rice as it was easy and little effort, it didn’t take long to make and soon enough she wandered over to Alex and pushed his legs off of the couch so that she could sit down and eat, “Move your legs you long legged git” sitting down and starting to eat she managed to say in-between mouthfuls ]“Nothing interesting on?” that wasn’t much of a bother, it just meant she might go for a visit to the beach she hadn’t been there yet and she might be able to find some nice shells “Might go down to the beach” the admission was absent and slipped out without her really paying much attention to it. Still eating, her gaze flicked from the dark tv to the male she was sharing the couch with, he was someone she was semi comfortable enough to talk to and spend time with, he was easy going and not much seemed to bother him which worked well with her often cold aura with those she didn’t know. She was starting to thaw around him and was starting to open up a little, it was getting easier to talk to him and easier to be herself.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Giving Claire a glance when she walked in, he'd found a book by the time that she came out again with her food, and grunted softly as she pushed his legs off the couch. "Everything's rubbish," he informed her, looking over the top of what he was reading. She was an interesting girl, and he was glad that he'd begun to get under her frosty aura a little bit. What she knew about dragons was fascinating, and he wanted to learn all that he could. He closed the book when she mentioned the beach, hopeful that he could come along with her. He loved this beach, having scouted it out a while ago and begin to make friends with the little dragons who lived in the sand and the sea around it. "Looking for company to the beach?" he offered, ready to go with her if she wanted, or just as easily ready to go back to his book and keep reading if she wanted to be alone. "It's a lovely beach, nice and calm since it's almost a cove. Don't think there's a rip nearby for a long while, so it's super safe for little ones." He grinned a little. "Human and dragon little ones."

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Glancing up as she realized that she’d spoken out loud a faintly sheepish look appeared on her features, it seemed that he’d already been to this beach before and, so she was okay with letting him come with her. She could still talk to the dragons and River could have a swim without being noticed after all, “You’re welcome to come” Claire allowed with a brief faint smile, finishing off her food and standing the woman moved to clean the dishes she’d used it wasn’t long before she was heading out the door giving him little time to prepare. Walking with him the seemingly short distance, green eyes lit up as soon as she spotted the ocean, picking up her pace, the girl instantly waded into the water with little hesitation a large smile appearing underneath her eyes. The gentle waves lapped at her calves, while the familiar smell of the sea almost embraced her, River remained hidden in the shadows, slipping into the water with nary a noise nor a ripple upon the water. Loosing herself in the pleasant feel of the water for a while, Claire remained standing in the shallows and began wandering along keeping her eyes out for any dragons, she didn’t have to wait long as soon enough a few ocean species appeared from their nests hidden about. Knowing the language of ocean dragons as she herself had learnt from River, Claire called out to them the welcoming inviting noise reverberating around off of the rocks. Curious squeaks and clicks sounded from those that had heard her, the dragons there not having met someone who knew their tongue, indeed she was perhaps the only non-dragon who knew it as fluently as she did. Inviting them forward again, they abandoned their nests to skip over the sand to her. It was clear that this was her happy place, the frosty outer demeanour completely melting away to reveal someone who loved dragons with a warm burning passion. Crouching down to speak to them softly, the black haired lass offered her fingers to sniff in greeting before finding their itchy spots and laughing quietly as they made noises and nearly fell over. Having forgotten alex was there, when a dragon swam off and returned with its treasure a beautiful smooth shell and offered it to her, the girls gaze gentled carefully brushing her fingers over it she soon returned it to the dragon. While she collected shells and other bits and pieces she didn’t have it in her to take it from the old but rather enthusiastic dragon, digging her toes into the sand beneath the water Claire resumed scratching one who was rather insistent that she itch its terribly itchy, itchy spot.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 pm

He'd used the short time that she was busy to find a couple of shells and bits of driftwood that he’d collected from other beaches, intending to offer them as a few gifts to the sea dragons here. He knew that they all liked collecting things, and it never hurt to stay on their good side. Not bothering with shoes, he wandered along beside her with his hands in his pockets, enjoying the sun and the warmth of the sand under his feet once they got there. It didn’t take long for Claire to wade into the water, and he caught a glimpse of her expression, but stayed quiet as she spoke to the dragons. It only intrigued him more that she could speak dragon so fluently – plus he’d always wanted to learn, but that was another matter entirely. Crouching when the couple of dragons he’d begun to befriend ventured over to him he greeted them gently and offered the shells and bits of wood for their collection. Smiling as they whistled happily about the gifts, the young man waded into the water, allowing the smallest ones to swim about him and inspect him curiously. Thoroughly enjoying himself, he glanced over at Claire again with a slight tilt to his head. “If you have time in the holidays, I have a small boat at home. Mum reckons I live in it on the sea sometimes, if you want to join me you’re more than welcome. There are heaps of dragons at home that seem to enjoy meeting with me when I can make it.” It was a genuine offer, and honestly not one that he made a lot. He loved his alone time when it was just him and his boat and the sea, but there was something about Claire that made him offer.

Main account

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm

She’d kept an eye on him, watching as he brought shells and bits of driftwood with him, a smile appeared as he passed the drift wood and shells to the young dragons. His gentleness and kindness towards them soothing her often wary side that had been very reluctant to let him get close to her, soon enough distracted by the dragons swimming with her she’d moved deeper not caring that she was getting her clothes wet. Looking over at him when he spoke, green eyes studied him, whilst she listened carefully to his offer, he told her that he had a small boat and during the holidays often just escaped out to sea for a few months where he often met all kinds of dragons. She replied with zero hesitation “That sounds wonderful, I’d definitely be keen to come with you, its been de-years since I’ve been out to sea” the last time she’d been out at sea had been well over a few hundred years ago when great big ships of sail, wood and rope had ruled the seas. The fact that he’d referred to his ship as a boat meant two things, it was either tiny or he wasn’t a real man of the sea, yes she was a ship snob and proud of it. Wondering if any of the dragons she’d met on her last journey at sea were still alive, Claire leaned back into the water and let her feet leave the sandy ground beneath her. Her shadows spread throughout the water, one of the more intelligent shadows formed itself into a specific kind of ocean dragon that would hide its eggs not unlike sea turtles and return to land as they hatched to protect them as they made their mad scramble into the water. It apparently was a teenager and so the dragon it exhibited was also in its adolescence, surfacing and splashing its mistress cheekily, Claires attention was diverted to it. Her eyes shone with amusement that mirrored the laugh that escaped her without hesitation, splashing it back, the coal black dragon with smoky grey scales and smoky pink around its eyes the creature was a female its kind usually preferring the deeper water. It made a soft croaking noise at the splash and cheekily flicked its tail around managing to get both Alex and Claire in the same motion, disappearing under the recurring wave that its tail generated Claire was soon above water again. There was something about being in the water that felt right, that this was where she was supposed to be, the tugging fight within her between home and her horses and the great expanse of the sea was quiet and she was free.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Pleased that his gifts made the dragons happy, it wasn’t long before Alex was also in the water, diving beneath the waves to swim with the dragons. He loved this beach, and had been careful in how he’d approached the dragons, wanting only to make friends with them and not hurt them. The young man glanced over at his companion when she spoke, pleased that she was happy to come out on a boat trip with him. Not caring that his clothes were going to get wet, he sat down in the surf and let the curious dragons poke about as they wanted. They were such sweet little things, it was half the reason why he’d wanted to learn about them and research them in the first place. Hearing a laugh, he looked over at Claire again in time to get a face full of water. Spluttering, he pushed his now dripping hair out of his face and narrowed bright blue eyes at her. “What was that for?” His attention was diverted by the black dragon for a few minutes though, and he watched the female reptile curiously for a while. It was strange to see one of that colour, and also this close to shore, but he didn’t want to scare her off so he stayed put. Perhaps she was a friend of Claire’s and had shown up to say hello. It had happened before, so it wasn’t completely uncommon.

PostSubject: Re: Dragons, Shadows and Maidens   

Back to top Go down

Dragons, Shadows and Maidens
Page 1 of 1