The Land of Role Play
The Land of Role Play
The Land of Role Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rp site

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Thorned Rose

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Following a battle no one could have won, Joshua Harrison barely escaped with a few crew and his ship. After a couple of months of repairs and recuperation, Josh is looking for a new crew to fill out his ship, the Thorned Rose.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 3:53 pm

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p25z7hBvrc1so18qw_540     The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p25ztjCv9G1so18qw_540

Joshua Harrison had only just begun sitting at a table nearby his crew, or what was left of it. So many dead. Technically, by his standards, they'd won that fight, seeing as the other ship had sunk... still, it had taken a lot of care and effort to keep his own ship afloat and so many had been lost. He'd prayed for them, said last rites for those he could, ad given as good of a burial at sea for them as was possible. Once gain, the Rose was ready to sail. Now he just needed more crew. He glanced towards the others from his ship, taking in what each was doing, keeping a watchful eye on them. They were his responsibility and her refused to lose anyone else.

Liam was sitting just behind Josh, guarding him, serious and straight faced as ever. Smoke trailed from a pipe he held, the embers within it lighting his shadowed face now and again.

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p25zr7byJ61so18qw_540     The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p25zsui35B1so18qw_540

Maria and Adrian sat together, chatting. She was trying to help him with a little reading, but it was clearly a lost cause. Adrian had barely grasped English well enough for full sentences, reading it wouldn't be happening for some time more. Maria was dressed down, common wear... though she seemed too clean for the bar they were in-- and too clean for a pirate. She blended well enough though, in all but her posh English accent. Adrian stuck out like a sore thumb the moment his mouth was opened with his heavy accent and broken English, occasionally just drifting back into his first language, which, to her dismay, his sister could not understand.

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p25zs3VdS91so18qw_540

Thomas sat near to Adrian and Maria, not wishing to be alone in a seedy place. The man was still too pure of heart to really be considered a pirate, though Josh had take him in after Thomas' discharge from the Navy. He'd given the man a home on the ship and trusted him. Thomas did what he could to earn his keep--- even if fighting still made him a little queasy.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 am

Wearing a red bandanna that clashed with her hair, the woman wore a white shirt that had once been a mans, a few belts held her daggers and other bits and pieces. Stained old breeches and sturdy boots that came up to just below her knees finished off Roses outift. She was already rather tipsy despite the early hour of the morning which suited her, being sober was no real fun at all and she lived for fun. She had a sword upon each hip, cutlasses that had edged sharp teeth on one side clearly designed for hacking and slashing, a fair few pistols hung from the rest of her. Weapons were her business, on her previous ship she’d been their quarter master until a new captain had taken over the ship by force and she’d been marooned for the sin of being female. Never the less it’d take more than that to kill the resourceful red head, pushing open the door her pale blue eyes quickly picked out the unfamiliar faces, this backwater tavern rarely boasted new faces which begged the question what did they want? They were only a small group, perhaps they were recruiting, the idea of being out at sea again was quite tempting, so she’d see how this all panned out, wandering over to the bar and setting some coins down she asked for her usual and wasted little time getting stuck into the strong alcohol.

Blue eyes were focused on the words, the bad light wasn’t making things easy but it wasn’t worth sitting outside and getting heckled by pirates for being able to read. The disgraced nobleman soon gave up on the attempt at reading by candlelight and tucked the book away, now not focused on what he was doing the sounds of a woman trying to teach a man to read garnered his attention. Turning his head, the black haired male picked them out quite quickly, it seemed the male was having difficulty grasping the concept, much to the noblewomans dismay. Intrigued by the odd pair, the man who went by the name of Blackadder leaned back in his chair and absently scratched at the scruff on the side of his jaw, it’d been a while since he’d last shaved and although his attire and looks were in general a little too well groomed for a pirate he appeared comfortable enough in the tavern as it was. Able to read, write, navigate and more, the man was a plethora of information, watching the odd pair, the young man listened and observed.

The dark haired, dark eyed male wandered down the street, dressed a little strangely, the peculiar pale man who went by the name of Ethan or Haytham depending on who you were ended up at the beach once again. He needed to find a way out of this town, it was small and suffocating, the only son of a wealthy man who owned several sugar plantations, Ethan liked to keep on the move. He’d left home at the age of 16 and had joined the ranks of a group who called themselves Assassins, it’d come to light that his father and family were Templars the mortal enemies of the Assassins group and who liked to have control and order. It’d explained a fair few things about his childhood that was for sure, at about 26 or so now he was fully trained and a deadly opponent, getting badly wounded a couple of months ago he’d stayed here to heal and rest up. Spotting the new ship at the jetty, he moved his way around and onto them, studying it with interest, this could be his ticket out of here, it appeared it was named The Thorned Rose, which was an interesting name for what looked like a pirate ship. Pushing his black hair back, the young man decided that he’d wait and see who came back to the ship, and find out if perhaps they’d want to allow him to join them for a while.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p27jval02R1so18qw_540     The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p27k2f1PgW1so18qw_540

Liam kept quiet as he surveyed the room. Josh would have elbowed him, but it really wouldn't have made much difference. The quartermaster couldn't feel, anyway. Sometimes Josh thought that applied to both touch and emotions. A couple of people came over, interested, Josh wasn't paying much attention. They didn't grab his attention. Still he was sure they'd be good for miscellaneous crew. A woman entered and he could see she was a pirate. It was obvious. Female pirates weren't common and he knew it, despite that he kept at least one on board. Maria had always been tougher than she looked, though. The woman at the bar wasn't as fair, no, but there was no harm in that. No damsel tricks like Maria used, but a fighter. Liam nudged him so he'd pay attention to some man with no teeth and missing an eye. Call him shallow, he probably was, but he liked his crew to look somewhat good. It was respectable, right?

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p27jwqb2xN1so18qw_540     The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p27k0l0nEI1so18qw_540     The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p27k14hbKx1so18qw_540

"Adrian, these are simple words! They don't even go over five letters, most of the time!" Maria was getting more exasperated by the moment. The tall and dark Romanian spoke up, accent heavy, "For you. I am no you. Words do not come so well. English words. I do not even read in my own words." Maria sighed, "Language. You mean language." Thomas finally piped up, "Maria, perhaps you should just work on speech. Adrian won't need reading and writing as soon as he'll need to be able to speak fluently." The American's words were gentle in tone. Adrian immediately made a gesture at Thomas of "see? he gets it!" and the woman rolled her eyes, folding the letter up and tucking it away. Thomas smiled a little, "Well, I think I might head back... taverns aren't as fun when you don't drink and, well---" Maria interjected, "And I can out drink you." Thomas scoffed, "Yes, you can. I'm not much of a drinker." She raised an eyebrow, almost a challenge, "Neither am I. But yes go on to bed, or to guard the ship, or whatever you may do."

Thomas made his way to Joshua, mumbling his plans before leaving to head off towards the ship. It had been left unguarded, which he'd thought a terrible idea. Josh had been adamant, though, that they should have the crew there to 'represent' the ship. There wasn't much crew left. They'd all lost friends. He was caught in his thoughts as he wandered up to the ship, naturally not paying attention to his surroundings.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Ignoring everything in the bar or at least seeming to, the short battle scarred redhead got stuck into her drink, soon finished she had another very intent on getting as drunk as possible despite the early hour. Once she’d drunk to try to forget her self hate, however these days after everything she could deal with that hate and batter it back a fair bit, things were just more fun when she was drunk. It was easier to open up, bawdy songs and fights often occurred when she was in such a state, it also helped with the heartache that continued to linger deep under the surface. Not looking up when the tavern door creaked open again, it was a familiar voice that caught her attention “Rose you boozy swilltub its not even eleven and you’re well on the way to being absolutely smashed” looking up and giving a wry grin at the familiar woman with jet black hair and green eyes. “Captain Claire, its been a while, what are you doing in a joint like this?” the red head lowered her gaze back down to her half empty mug and downed the rest of it. Claires ship had been the first one she’d joined, she’d been able to put her many skills to work, from experience with the various weapons found on a ship to basic fighting that she’d honed over the years. Surprisingly at being called captain, Claires features saddened “Not much of a captain anymore, lost her” sensing that her old friend didn’t want to talk about what had happened to her ship, Rose gestured to the seat beside her inviting her to join her. “Sit and have a drink Claire, it helps, trust me on that one” her thoughts returned to the specific reason why she’d left the land she’d loved and taken up piracy. It made her features grow hard lest they show any of the weakness that yet remained, pushing her short hair back out of her face she sighed and ordered another setting gold coins down to pay as she went. The noise of a stool being dragged out informed her that her friend was doing as she’d suggested, although rose highly doubted that Claire would drink anything boozy, which left more for herself.

Amused when the female burst out with exasperation, he found out that the male was Adrian, the woman Maria although no name was given to the young bright eyed lad who didn’t really fit in that well with the others. Indeed all of the group were rather an odd fit, his attention caught he stood and made his way over. Not making any apologies for sitting down in an empty seat “What brings such unlikely folks together and to such a backwater joint? That desperate for crew are we?” blue eyes flicked over Adrian before studying the young blond man who with his body guard behind him had to be the captain. It appeared that despite his youth the youngster had managed to wrangle a ship for his own, interesting, his voice was low and cultured, the accent giving him away as a citizen of England. He had no real intention of going into his own backstory and if he was particularly lucky nobody would care, “If you are what I surmised I perhaps could bring some of my own abilities to add to your already varied gathering. I can read, write, navigate, use maps and have been around these islands for several years. I can barter and manipulate others into giving a better deal when it comes to purchasing or selling items.” If they rejected him that was their choice, he had little interest in being heckled either, and so he came across as quite composed.

Watching the ship, taking in its size and mentally calculating what it could carry, someone walked into him from behind, turning around, dark eyes blinked studying the young man who’d walked into him. “Oh I’m sorry, I was just admiring the ship” the only other ships at the small make shift harbour were civilian fishing boats, so he guessed that this male was from the ship “Do you happen to be looking for new members?” although it was clear this youngster wasn’t the captain perhaps he could get him in touch with him. Anything to get off the hunk of rock he’d been stuck on for so long, he could likely prove his worth by telling them that he knew the sugar plantations very well and where the warehouses were that had items of value like sugar which was almost as good as coin in the west indies. Dark clothes made his pale skin look all the whiter, the sound of the seagulls screaming got under his skin a fair bit, the male often finding certain things overwhelming, chewing, birds repeatedly screaming were some of the sound sensory issues that made his teeth grind. IT was not unlike nails being dragged down a black board, there were other things like touch that overwhelmed him quite often too hence why he was picky with his clothes and often kept something familiar in one of his pockets to ground himself.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 5:09 pm

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p29skqJ5U91so18qw_540   The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p29spnwRUe1so18qw_540
Josh's attention was caught when a new woman spoke loudly to the redhead at the bar. Another female pirate. A captain, had he heard? He knew he heard that word somewhere in the noisy bar. The few that had signed up were finished now. He knew it had been few, but so many wouldn't take him seriously for his age and youthful appearance. Perhaps he could find more before they set sail. For now, he more just wanted to relax. "Liam, go get a drink or something. Loosen up. Play a game, dance, listen to music." An eye roll from the older man, "Oh yes, you know me so well, I love all of those things." Josh sighed, shaking his head, "Or head back to the ship like Tom. Or just.... stand here." With that, he moved away, plopping himself down at the bar near the two women and running his fingers through messy brunet hair. "Sorry to intrude, but did I hear the word captain over here?" Was the woman one? He'd heard of such ships, but they were rare.

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p29socb8qC1so18qw_540   The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p29sqwXEn11so18qw_540
Maria and Adrian both turned their attentions to the stranger when he sat down by them. Maria took it upon herself to answer the questions, not wanting Adrian to stumble through it. "We are quite used to backwater taverns. You can find the best people... or the worst, depending on the night." It remained to be seen which kind he was. "I would speak with Joshua," she gestured to the young man, "He's the captain. We are looking for crew, yes. We have a navigator and will not just be sticking around these islands, but if you can sail and fight, there is likely a spot for you." Adrian just nodded, not having too much to add and not knowing if he even should speak.

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p29sm9LAyw1so18qw_540
Thomas hadn't really expected to collide with someone. His heavy thoughts had been interrupted suddenly and he blinked in surprise, just staring at the man for a moment after an instinctual and immediate apology had left his own lips, half speaking over he man's own apology. "What?"He hadn't caught up with himself yet. "Oh, crew. Right. Yeah, yes. We're looking for crew. Need crew. Hiring." And that was how to say the same thing three different ways. Congratulations, Thomas. Suddenly he seemed to remember himself all at once, a hand jutting out as if the action were ingrained in his very nature. "Uh, Keits. Thomas. I'm Thomas. Sorry. Yeah, Tom. Thomas Keits." And he had aced in first impressions.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Watching as Claire ordered a drink and then wrinkled her nose at the state of the mug it was presented in, Rose couldn’t help but just laugh, despite being a pirate captain and the type that wouldn’t hesitate to deball any man who fucked her off she was as still as finicky as a cat. Belching loudly and ignoring the look her friend gave her, Rose glanced at the brunet boy as he suddenly asked if he’d heard the word captain, a slight smirk curled itself onto her lips. Rose who didn’t care if she came across blunt, rude or even arrogant spoke shortly “Claire here is, whats it to you fuzzy?” studying him a few moments a gingery brow rose “You’re the one who’s picked the worlds worst island and small town to try and recruit from.” The named Claire was a fair sight more pretty than her companion, indeed the pair seemed to be a rather odd couple with the short stout scarred pirate and the more lady like captain, the loss of her ship still broke her heart every day and yet after careful thought she’d discovered that there wasn’t much she’d been able to do. Her precious ship sinking still ached, supposed she’d better say something, she spoke in faintly accented tones “This is Rose, drunk most of the time but one of the best pirates I’ve come across.” In her opinion it was true, she’d never come across such a hard working, loyal pirate that could out drink anyone with ease and still cut a man to ribbons whlist completely inebriated. Indeed rose was one of the few she knew whom she’d call a friend and whom she’d trust to guard her back, while the two had completely different fighting styles they made quite a pair and if asked why she believed Rose was one of the best pirates she'd come across, Claire was more than ready to inform the man these details without hesitation. While no one would be able to see Claires various tattoos as most of her body was covered, the island of skye tattooed on Roses chest was in comparison quite easy to see, it was slightly faded suggesting it’d been there a long time but thankfully she’d been lucky enough to avoid any scars to mangle the work.

Watching the boy as he came out with an apology and then seemed to click as to what was going on, his features remained composed as the other male informed him that yes indeed they were looking for crew. He’d attach himself to this crew for a while and go his own way again, coming back to the present when the boys name was given, “A pleasure Mr. Keits, I’m Ethan Richards, most call me Haytham” not that he particularly minded either name, a name was a name, which was simply words upon paper or spoken. He wasn’t that bothered by the awkward speaking and the way he’d repeated himself but in different ways, not all people were good at social interaction and so he just presumed this was the case with young Thomas. Twitching slightly as the noise of the gulls grew louder, the surprisingly sensitive dark man ran his fingers over the soft jade that he kept in that pocket, the smooth cool stone with its ridges was getting more and more smoothed the more he fiddled with it in his pocket. It helped drown out the aggravating noise of the gulls, inhaling and counting out in his head five familiar smells that he knew and liked he let himself meditate upon them briefly. The comforting noise of the ship rocking in the water and creaking aided him, and soon enough the subtle tension had faded away, during his stay here he’d allowed his hair to grow long again and an absent part of his mind informed himself that he needed a hair cut. However he was quick to yank his mind away from such trivial matters and instead focused once more on Mr Keits, a slight smile present on his features.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p2bphhn7XW1so18qw_540
Joshua smiled some, not minding the drunkness of the redhaired woman. Any pirate had dealt with plenty of drunk people. "Nice to meet you, Captain Claire--- and the ever-so graceful Rose." It was spoken with charm, and not the false sort, either. "My name is Joshua, or Josh. It almost must be fate to meet a Rose here while I work to crew my Rose." He shrugs, sighing, "We didn't get much of a say in where we stopped to crew. Not too far off from this island, we were attacked but a naval vessel.... we lost a lot of good men and women and barely made it here. So, crew here we must." The Bahamian accent suggested he was from one of the nearby islands likely. He provides another enticing smile, not meaning anything by it, it was just the way he smiled. "I must ask, what is it like to be a female captain? I know people get pissed if they hear I have a woman on board," he motions absently towards Maria, "so how does captaining a ship go for you?"

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p2bpgcI71S1so18qw_540
Thomas smiled brightly, regaining his mental footing. "Ethan. That's a good name." Perhaps the man preferred Haytham though? If not, Tom liked Ethan much more than Haytham. His nose wrinkles at the response though. "Just Thomas, or Tom. I don't know why I said my last name first." He shook his head a bit at himself. "Uh, the captain won't be back for some time probably. He's out recruiting. You could join me on the ship and tell me a little about yourself? It saves Josh some time."
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Narrowing her eyes as she was called ‘the ever-so graceful Rose’ the bad tempered battle scarred rowdy woman decided right then and there that he was an idiot. Why else would he attempt to charm someone who quite obviously had no interest in such things, however when he mentioned it almost being fate to meet her here she snorted loudly and snickered with laughter.   “You must be a fucking idiot mate, aint no such thing as fate. We make our own paths and choices” many men in this day and age were superstitious which only made her want to laugh, there was no grand being that presided over everything, no god, no nothing. All there was in the world were people constantly thieving, manipulating and doing whatever they could to come out on type, how different were they from animals after all? They fought tooth and claw for the exact same things, territory, high rank and reprdoducing, it was rather pathetic after all but then again she herself was in the same bitter fight except she had lower expectations. Strong alcohol was enough for her, and the odd tangle in the sheets with someone every now and then, ordering another drink she set herself for ignoring the brunet after all Claire could deal with him.
Quirking a black brow at the mans attempt at charm, green eyes remained frosty, he introduced himself and although she committed the name to memory as of now she cared naught at all about what he was droning on about. His enticing smile had no effect on the woman who appeared so cold and frosty when moments before when just talking with rose she’d been relaxed and almost friendly. Spinning the glass of tepid water about on the bench his probing questions where only half listened to, she didn’t care if she came across cold and slash or arrogant, she wasn’t out to make friends with every busybody with a pretty smile and an assload of questions. “The Entire crew was Female, Rose was my quarter master for a long while” one of the few people that knew of the Scottish redheads backstory Claire had no inclination of sharing it with this youngster. While she’d escaped many of the scars Rose had, Claire was far more of a loner than her friend, and with her ship sunk there was no one else apart from her that she had in the world to consider a friend.

A soft short laugh escaped the dark man when the boy wrinkled his nose at the use of ‘Mr. Keits’ it seemed the male was quite a few number of years younger than himself who was by most standards considered a little old being in his late twenties. So much had occurred in those years that had changed him in many ways from the boy he had once been. Nodding at the offer of him joining Thomas on the ship, Haytham smiled “That sounds like a good plan” following Thomas onto the ship his experienced dark eyes flicked about. It was in good enough order although it appeared it needed some repairs done, those would probably be done before the ship left the small harbour anyway. Leaning against the railing in the sun, his quiet subtle smile remained upon his features, he quite enjoyed being out in the sun again, the warm wood warmed his hands and was a familiar welcome feeling. His eyes had closed while he’d soaked up the sun and so now he reopened them looking over at the youngster “What would you like to know, Thomas?” he disliked shortening names, even though that’d gotten him called old-fashioned he believed if anything it was fairly rude to do so. Lifting his hands he pulled his thick black hair back into a loose pony tail to keep it out of his face as the teasing light wind kept trying to blow strands of it into his face.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p2f3yaf4TN1so18qw_540
"Fate or coincidence, you almost seem the embodiment of my ship's name. The Thorned Rose. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I am pushing into your conversation..." Joshua, despite their lack of interest in him, was quite fascinated by the concept of this. An all female crew. It sounded great. osh was all for that kind of thing, women making a stand and all. "Well, I hope you struck terror into the hearts of your enemies." He meant it as a compliment, he knew they had likely been faced with jeers and mocking. He assumed they had to have proven that they were orth fearing, worth the name of pirate. It was a man's world and no one could deny it. "I notice you said that in past tense. Was. What happened to them?"

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p2f3yygP9a1so18qw_540
Thomas wasn't too young, he was about 23 now. He was older than Josh, at least. Josh was 21 or 22, he couldn't remember. He headed onto the ship, leaning near the man. "A little background. Josh doesn't need to know everything and, well, I certainly don't. Still, it's nice to know who we're running with, you know?" He's smiling now, gently, it seems just to be his resting expression. "We're kind of like a--- family, I guess. We're just cautious sometimes."
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Amusement made its way onto Claires lips for a brief moment when he mentioned that rose was the embodiment of the name of his ship, studying him as he rather earnestly complimented them. Rather wary of said compliments as so many had been made with ill intentions, the black haired lass lost the slight smile when he brought up the fact that she’d spoken in past tense. Resuming watching the glass she spun on the bar top she didn’t say anything, instead she focused on making it spin, what had happened still was too much of a fresh wound to be talked about so openly. So she stayed quiet, Rose picking up on her friends mindset looked back up and studied the man “You want crew for yer ship? Fine, we’ll join, anything to get out of this shit hole.” If he turned out to be as stupid as first impressions then it’d be little effort to pirate the ship away from the pirate captain and take it for themselves. Over time the jeers and mocks had meant less and less to her, and it’d become easier and easier to challenge those that did and prove them wrong about what a woman and a blade could do, the feisty red-head was quite proud of her abilities and wasn’t one to tolerate what she considered bullshit. She herself didn’t know what had happened to Claire, claires ship and claires crew, but it seemed that whatever had happened had left the dark haired woman reluctant to talk about it. Perhaps in the future when she’d healed some, after all rose had been more than aware that the womans ship had been her pride and joy, scratching the shoulder that had the worst scarring the grumpy Scottish woman studied the self proclaimed captain josh. Deciding that despite the fact that he came across as a kiss ass, she got up from her stool rather nimbly for someone who’d been shoving as much rum into their gullet as they could “Lets go take a looksie at the ship Bear” the familiar nickname slipped out and got the red head scowled at for it. However she just grinned and started wandering off, she’d find the ship and go over it to satisfy her own curiosity, she preferred knowing the ship she was on like it was the back of her hand inside and out. Claire decided to stay, considering breaking her self promise of no alcohol, an extreme light weight it only took one or two mugs of rum to get her drunk and doing stupid things.

Dark brown eyes that were almost black focused on the smiling boy, he supposed wanting to know his background was probably a good sign that the members of this ship were switched on. “Fair enough, I’ll try not to bore you too much with it all” quietly considering what parts of his past were worth mentioning and what parts weren’t he finally began talking “I have plenty of knowledge about the sugar cane plantations, and know who owns what and how much. I have over ten years experience in fighting, unarmed, pistols, knives, swords and more, I’ve been on about three ships over the past six years from working on a pirate ship to working as a blade for hire paid to protect merchant ships. Do ask more questions if I’ve missed out anything you’d like to know more about Thomas” although he’d keep most of the details to himself he could give broad details he supposed if it was needed. He quite honestly disliked the itchy feeling of the scruff growing on his jaw, but there wasn’t much he could do about it. Sure any one of his knives was sharp enough but he preferred to have a mirror handy so he didn’t do any irreparable damage.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p2f6s02Q8x1so18qw_540
Josh was surprised when they woman spoke for both of them, saying they would join him. He didn't mind the idea. He understood if the question he'd asked was a problem. In an attempt at help or comfort, he spoke, "I... understand what it's like to lose crew. Im assuming you lost them, I don't know... I may be shoving my foot in my mouth. I just lost much of mine. They were... family to me, so I get it. I won't press you. I apologize if I brought up bad memories." He could get a little of a feel for this woman, Rose, as he showed her the ship. "All right, we can head that way, if you wish." He'd not had a single drink. He motioned to Liam not to follow them, having the man looming over his shoulder was tiring. Standing, he moved to Rose, hand slipping into his coat pockets. The young man really looked nothing like a captain.

The Thorned Rose Tumblr_inline_p2f6rm0PEc1so18qw_540
Thomas listened without interruption. Yes, this was all good information to know. Josh would find much of it useful. Still, it didn't quite answer the question Thomas had meant to ask. "I do have one more... It's actually the original question, what I had meant to ask... I thought it would come out with background. What kind of person are you? We don't really judge, we have all sorts."
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Every time the man opened his mouth all she wanted to do was either shoot him or punch him and she wasn’t quite sure what option was better, unable to help but roll her eyes when he began talking to Claire. Honestly did he really think its words would soften Claire any? Rose already knew the answer, Claire remained at the bar for a few more moments before exiting it and wandering off to go be on her own for a while. Completely ignoring what Joshua was dressed like as she really didn’t give a shit about the brunet in the slightest, at this point all he was in her life was just some idiot she’d use to get off this island and somewhere else. Looking up at the ship, her discerning eye ran over its weapons first, with the old jacket folded over her arm the feisty redhead stepped onto the ship and made her own conclusions. Knowing that Claire would show up in her own time, Rose’s attention was very briefly caught by the two men over by the railings, she’d explore the ship on her own terms once she was ready. Rather wary of how this man would captain the ship, rose already had her own set of personal morale’s and rules if he broke one of them then she’d seriously reconsider going along with all of this. He needed her and Claire after all as he’d claimed he was low on crew members after all so perhaps a compromise could be forged if something happened.

Thomas’s words surprised him and admittedly generated a varying degree of waryness, he’d never been asked to go and preform a personality test whilst asking to apply for a job onboard a ship. Guarded brown eyes studied the younger man closely before replying “I am a good person” his tone was rather mild. Loud steps garnered his attention, seeing a short redheaded woman and a brunet male, Haytham however kept his features very politely neutral. Ther was no need to be rude after all, leaning back he brushed his fingers over an itchy spot on his left arm.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Joshua watched as Rose explored the ship. He wouldn't stop her. He was trying, even if the two women didn't believe he was actually this way, he was. He liked to think himself a good man. "The crew quarters are one level down, there's a room for women to change in, if they want to do that away from the men, I know Maria uses it, but if you're comfortable, then do whatever." Josh was content to let her explore and settle in her own time. "The younger man over there is Thomas, our navigator, I don't know the other. Then Maria and Adrian were the two arguing back there, our medic and a sailor. The man who was previously looming over me like an exaggerated shadow was Liam, the Quartermaster." With that, he moves over to the two men.

Thomas smiles, "Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there. We got a psychopath on here once, tried to kill the captain.... I make a habit of asking those kinds of things now." He knew it wasn't common practice. Tom's green eyes flick over to the woman and Josh, noticing the man approaching. "Speaking of--- Ethan, this is the captain, Joshua Harrison."
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Half listening as Joshua rambled on about the other people who worked on the ship, Rose was far more interested in the various weapons, not really giving a shit that she wasn’t the quartermaster, rose took it upon herself to vanish below decks and investigate the cannons that rested upon the lower decks. After that she made her way towards the hold, one could tell many things about a captain from the contents of their cargo hold, also being rathe rnosy she was quite keen to scope everything out. Eventually above deck again, the woman mourned the lack of any swivel cannons or mortars, there had been some chain shot as well as heavy shot however she was a firm believer in a variety of weapons hence her pistols as well as her ensemble of weaponry. Noticing a familiar form out of the corner of her eye, Rose brightened up and walked over to Claire, greeting her with a grin   “hey bear, finally caught up I see, Ready to return to your one true love?” her voice and gaze was a little gentler when she spoke with her friend than when she’d spoken to Joshua. Claire after all was a friend, one of the rare few people in her life that had gotten underneath her thick prickly front the red head put up to keep herself safe. Rewarded with an amused smile, Claire nodded “Yes, it’ll be good to be out on the waves once more” and with that she busied herself with climbing up the main mast to perch up in the crows nest far above the wooden deck and enjoying the breathtaking view from such a vantage point.

After talking with the others and in the end deciding that he would indeed join this ship despite its motley crew, Lord Blackadder walked through the streets with his well worn pack over his shoulders. Stepping on board he spent about five minutes studying everything and then walked towards the bow of the ship and sat himself down leaning against the railings and taking out a book that he began reading immediately. Very much in hope that he wouldn’t be talked too for a while, his blue gaze was soon caught by the black words painstakingly written upon the pages. Absently chewing on his thumbnail as he read, the man didn’t really look much like a nobleman anymore, he had an earring in one ear and his clothes were no longer the fine clothes he’d left home in but he was still dressed a far sight better than the rest of the people on board the vessel in his opinion. His heavy black coat in the end was set over his pack as it was really too hot in this climate to be wearing a coat in the sun, one of his feet tapped out a random beat whilst he hungrily devoured the words upon the page engrossed in his book he didn’t hear the world around him.

There was a really good reason why he hated personality tests, on every single one of them he came back as a bad person, there was the fact that he was a cold blooded murderer but that was his day job. Even so he was a little amused by the fact that Thomas had decided to take his word that he was a good person, he could have easily lied if he’d wanted to after all, thankfully by his own standards Ethan was a good person. He bloodied his blades for the good of the general populace, ever shamed by the fact that his father and family were all templars and he was the only one who was on the good side, there seemed to be more and more reasons stacking up in his mind why he didn’t like personality tests. Looking over as a young man, two young women, and a young man in a dark black coat walked on the ship he was rather surprised to find out that the young boyish looking male was the captain of the ship. Unlike most however, Ethan was not one to judge by outward appearances, rather it was acts and deeds that proved your worth in his books “A pleasure to meet you, Joshua” still bound by the politeness rules he’d learnt growing up he offered his hand to the young man with a politely warm although perhaps a little distant smile.
Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Liam wandered his way back onto the ship not too long after. He had spotted the red-haired woman surveying the cannons and weaponry. He would have to make a point to speak to her about it later. The gruff, tired looking man had a light accent, one from the American south. He seemed polite enough, giving a nod of acknowledgement as he step to stand by Claire, gaze shifting from Rose to her. "Name's Liam Talbot. I'm the weaponsmaster." He glances around at the rest of the crew, all much younger than he, before adding under his breath, "---and resident babysitter..."

Adrian had found a nice spot in the sun, not far from Blackadder, and had collapsed unceremoniously. He didn't care how a six foot three imposing man like himself looked doing so. Despite looking and sounding rough, he really wasn't. Maria had slipped down below after happily greeting the two new women in passing. There were things she needed to do, stock she needed to manage. If they had everything, then they would be clear to set sail by the next day or so.

Joshua smiled widely as he clasped the man's hand, giving a firm shake. He hadn't caught the man's name, not having taken notice until his own name had been said. "So, I suppose you're joining us, then? If Tom's given the okay on you, then I wont bother you with too many more questions. In fact, I only have one: What's your name? I didn't quite catch it." Thomas had politely taken a small step back, leaning against the railing.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Thinking to herself she didn't really register that someone was talking to her, so when she did it took a few moments to sink in. Glancing over at the older man as he introduced himself as the quarter master of the ship. His name was Liam Talbot he claimed adding that he was also resident baby sitter, those muttered words caused a slightly cold smirk to break the neutral look on her features. However now she knew that she was bound by social niceties to reply "Claire Beaumont, My friend is Rose Mckinnan" neither of them held any position on this ship but it didn't bother her. It just meant that she knew Rose wouldn't stay with the ship long, she thrived when she had a purpose a role to fulfill, but she wouldn't say anything about it, there was no point, although she was more than aware of how Rose was goign to act towards everyone the prickly woman was defensive and thorny and for good reason, knowing her friends past as she did.

The very polite quiet pirate gave his name "I'm haytham" he didn't feel the need to give his last name, last names didn't really matter in the scheme of things here. He added quietly "I'll leave you to it, and go acquaint myself with the ship" he disliked being in the spotlight, or being the center of attention. With that he made his slight smile grow a little before wandering off to explore the ship, heading off he soon vanished below the deck of the ship. Used to how cramped things were below the top deck of a ship, he made his way through the various layers of the ship until he had a general idea of where everything was. Finding the bunks crammed in where the crew all slept he selected one that appeared to be unowned and sat down on it with a sigh, he'd be okay, he'd left home and could fight well he'd do fine here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Thorned Rose Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thorned Rose   The Thorned Rose I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thorned Rose
Page 1 of 1