The Land of Role Play
The Land of Role Play
The Land of Role Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rp site

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Just a Matter of Magic

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Wyndy

Wyndy

Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 12:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Faolan is a 900 year old witch who's been quite happy to wander Ireland and the world for a while. Having found a trace of strange magic in a pub, he's working on finding the witch to make sure that they're not untrained, and therefore dangerous.

Saoirse is a young selkie-witch with no real knowledge of her witch heritage. Having sold her home after her father died, she's just roaming the country busking for money, unaware that she's leaving a breadcrumb trail of magic that Faolan can follow.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Noticing her struggle to keep up, he slowed his pace a little, not exactly wanting her exhausted so soon. She needed some energy for playing around with her magic. “So it doesn’t matter what instrument you use, it’s more the tune you play?” That would make more sense, he supposed. Prodding at the guitar magically, he gently eased its thoughts from the dead wood. His magic was very centred around earth and trees, so playing with the wooden instrument wasn’t too far of a stretch. With the guitar saying that the music kept her grounded and calm, Faolan nodded to himself. “I see,” he murmured, glancing at her. “You’re lucky you’ve survived. The music helped, it keeps you calm, so that keeps your magic calmer. But I can guess at the risks you’ve taken.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Grateful when his pace slowed down a little so her shorter legs could keep up, and nodded "Yeah, and um" she paused wondering how to phrase it "My intentions, or will or what i want to happen end up mixing with the tune" she often found it hard to find the right word for what she wanted. "Stupidly lucky" she agreed quietly "But also Lucky enough that you found me and are kind enough to mentor me" there had been a funny feeling from her guitar for a few moments but it'd soon passed and so she put it out of her mind what was the point of worrying if the issue had already passed? Able to keep up more with the slightly slower pace, Saoirse felt quite positive that everything would be okay now.
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 pm

He nodded. “Yes, your instincts and emotions will be guiding the magic right now. What I’ll teach you is how to ignore that, and make choices irrelevant of your emotions to guide it.” Wondering if she’d noticed him prodding at her guitar, he glanced at her again, weaving his way surefootedly through the woods. “No more questions? Would have thought you’d be brimming with them for at least a week.” He was amused, but not bothered, and kept up the still quite brisk pace until the sun was going down. Finding the camp site he usually used, and very grateful that it wasn’t raining, he started a fire, putting his bag down with a sigh and pulling out some of the dried meat and fruit that he always carried just in case.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Saoirse nodded, that sounded useful she could learn that, noticing the glance, the redhead tilted her head a little wondering if he'd been the cause of the strange feeling prodding her instrument. "I'm sure more will happen as time goes on" setting down her guitar when they finally reached the campsite her mentor had in mind, the first thing she did was find a place to watch the sun go down. She loved the way the orange rays lit up the land as if it was kissing the world good night, returning to the campsite once the sun had vanished below the horizon she reached for her favoured instrument and idly picked at the strings a familiar song coming to mind, starting to play she appeared to be content to play almost constantly if she could get away with it. Every song she knew had different memories attached to it, softly starting to sing the song quietly her voice melded in with the gentle song well
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 10:26 pm

He simply snorted, expecting more questions no matter what she said. Busy getting the fire burning cheerfully, he didn’t mind that she wandered off for a while. She’d be returning, she was eager to learn from him after all. Pushing some of the food over to her, he glanced up at the crow call that sounded, searching for the black coloured bird. It soon landed on his shoulder with another caw, and preened his hair as he stroked its back. “So you’re finally back, birdbrain. Wondered where’d you’d gone off to.” There was affection in his voice, and he turned his gaze to Saoirse. “Keep playing,” he said softly. “But work out if you’re using magic or not. Once you find the magic, keep it steady. Don’t use any tonight. We’re working on separating the two right now.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Her playing came to a halt when the bird showed up, taking the moment to nibble at some of the food passed to her, she stared quite openly at the bird having absolutely no idea why he had a crow. Realizing she was staring she resumed playing once he turned his gaze to her, "Mhm Okay" she agreed when he spoke asking her to figure out if she was using magic or not and then not let the magic seep into her music. Flipping to a beatles song that she liked she began playing that instead and focused intently on where her magic was in her head, able to hold it back she envisioned a wall that she could lower at will to control the ebb and flow of the magic. The visualising usually worked and made things easier for her, not singing along she focused quite intently on what she was doing liking the challenge that these tasks he asked of her presented
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Amused at her reaction to the crow, he pushed at the bird to sit on his bag and roost there instead of being on his shoulder. Keep an eye on her, he ate his dinner and tidied it all away before settling more comfortably on the ground. Absently feeding the crow, he switched his gaze between the girl and the fire, content in the woods. “Good, you’re a fast learner it seems.” He eventually spoke quietly, not taking his gaze off the fire. “Better rest though. Tomorrow’s a longer walk than today, and you need to keep up.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Doing as she was told and carefully returning the guitar to its case she asked "whats the bird for? Does he have a name? Is that a witch thing?" more questions had slipped out of her before she'd really realized. Settling down and using her pack as a pillow she lay on her side watching him on the other side of the fire that was merrily providing light and warmth. "Do i get one? What does he do, is he a pet? Is he even a he? How'd you get him? Where'd you get him?" grinning a little sheepishly she lowered her gaze to the ground infront of her and began drawing through the earth with a twig she'd picked up "Sorry for bombarding you" Saoirse murmured feeling a little embarrased and shy all at once. The fire's light caught the red in her hair and made it seem all the more copper, with the gentle breeze her hair mirrored the fire, pale eyes flicked up from the patterns in the earth to watch the flames at the heart of the fire wondering about it.
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Amused at her questions, his gaze flicked up to meet hers. “That would be Nawat, he tends to come and go when he feels like it. Occasionally he’s useful.” He got a peck on the ear for his comment, but the witch merely stroked the bird’s feathers gently, calming him down. “He’d be what humans call a familiar. Generally most witches obtain one when they’ve learned enough to no longer be classified a student. Familiars choose the witch, rather than the other way around, and often seem to be clashing with the witch’s personality.” Putting another log on the fire, he resumed stroking the bird when he hopped onto his knee. “This particular sasspot came to me when his nest fell out of a tree into the spell I was working on. He’s stayed since then.” His quiet gaze rested on the girl with an almost gentle look in them. “I’m your teacher, you’re supposed to ask all the questions you think of. It’s fine.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 am

Listening closely to her teachers words she filed away the information, a slight smile quirked her features at the peck to the ear the crow gave him. Carefully listening as Faolan continued explaining about familiars, the rush of information was welcome, the smile grew a little when the bird was dubbed a sasspot. Her gaze returned to the patterns she was making in the dirt when his gaze rested on her, her father hadn't exactly tolerated questions, his opinion had always been shut up listen and you'll learn the answer to your questions without having to bother him with them. Feeling the sea tugging at her as it always did when she could no longer see it she settled down and closed her eyes trying to ignore it. Unable to she soon gave up and asked another question "have you had lots of students then?" her eyes opened and flicked to the other witch before drawn back towards the flames. Wondering what it'd be like to practice magic with fire she supposed that it'd be very finnicky and hard to control, where as water one of her more favourite things to work with focused on the push and pull like the push and pull of the moon and the tides
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 am

He let his gaze drift down to the fire when she avoided it, wary of making her uneasy with him. They needed to have a good relationship, otherwise teaching her would just be too hard. “A few,” he answered. “There’s an obligation to teach any untrained we come across, but most are taught by their parents. I get a lot of the older students coming to me for clarification on advanced work, or just asked if they can go through my library. There’s quite a few old books in there that are sought after by most witches to learn from.” Seeing a few leaves on the ground, he wriggled his fingers at them, guiding them gently into the shape of a songbird before letting it flap its wing and glide over to the girl. “Any more questions before we go to sleep?”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 am

Listening to him carefully when he replied, her features creased slightly when he told her that most were taught by their parents. When he mentioned books she blinked "you have books?" not that she could read very well, the letters warped and changed whenever she was trying to read them, her dad had quickly given up on teaching her to read as he just focused on things she naturally picked up quickly which to his pride was music. Wondering if she'd be able to make enough sense out of them to read them, her thoughts were distracted seeing the leaves form into a bird, an amazed look lit up her features and she stared at the bird with almost excitement a soft "Wow" sounding from the girl. Saoirse who'd grown up without any magic was easily pleased with the simple art of folding leaves into the shape of a bird via magic. "Yes, How did you do that? Do you have any books with mainly pictures?" sitting up to watch the bird glide around "Can I do something like that one day?" unable to take her eyes off of it she observed it keenly
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 am

He lifted an eyebrow at her. “I have plenty of books, I’ve been around a few hundred years, honey. I collect the valuable ones to keep them safe.” Amused at her question about pictures, he lay back against his bag, reaching out a hand to the bird he’d made to flick it higher into the sky. “Not particularly. If you don’t know how to read, I’ll teach you that as well. It’s a vital skill. Making the bird? A simple spell, easier for me because I have an affinity with the earth. You have an affinity with water, if I’m reading your magic signature right. You’ll be able to do it soon, but not as easily as you’d work with water.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 am

Unsure if he was talking down to her or not when she was called honey, Saoirse studied Faolan carefully. Distracted by the bird again she watched it fly higher in the sky, "I was attempted to be taught how to read but I just couldn't" laying down again on her side again and closing her eyes she listened carefully as he mentioned that he was better with earth whereas she seemed to be better with water. "Well that'd make sense" Saoirse murmured to herself with a soft sigh, her mother had been a selkie after all so it would make sense that would manifest and change her magic. Tucking her hair back behind her ears and trying not to think about either one of her parents, the red head resumed fiddling with the stick in the earth drawing celt patterns in it.
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 1:01 am

Nudging the crow away from him and banking the fire so that it would keep burning all night without spreading everywhere, Faolan stayed quiet at the girl’s murmurs. It sounded like whoever her father had been hadn’t been patient with his daughter. That didn’t bother him too much, he knew how to be patient with the youngsters that he taught. “Go to sleep, youngster. There’s a few other things you need to know before we go much further, but they can wait until the morning. Get some rest.” He settled down as well, keeping his staff beside him and tugging his cloak over him as a sort of blanket. Once he was all settled, the crow hopped to perch on his shoulder to roost there.
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 am

Tossing the stick into the fire she spoke "Okay but one last question, what do you know about selkies?" as far as she knew she could turn into a seal and wasn't allowed on the beach when it was a full moon especially at night. Her father hadn't exactly been very forthcoming on information that didn't have anything to do with music, she wanted to learn more about what she was selkie wise. She was able to turn into a seal or a mix of human and seal as the first thing she'd done after her father had died was go to the beach and try to figure it out on her own. Comfortable by the fire despite not having anything to keep herself warm with, she yawned and settled herself down closing eyes and awaiting the mans response
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 11:16 am

He opened his eyes to study her. "Enough that it's not a simple answer to your question," he replied. "Once you can read, I'm sure you'll find plenty of books in the house that will satisfy your curiosity." If not, then he was glad that he knew a selkie and his partner. Perhaps it would be time to make a visit to them, under the pretence of checking out the bookstore. For a water creature, the younger man was strangely good about keeping his books dry, and he usually had a few rare ones that the witch liked to pick up, or browse through. He'd just have to be careful if the hunter, and hope that she didn't set her targets on his student. She was used enough to him, though he was amused that she didn't like him. "Go to sleep."
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Unsure if she'd be able to learn to read, Sao did as she was told, closing her eyes and falling asleep. Waking up early the next morning and thinking things over she found a place to fill up a container with water and fix it to her belt. Since she was better with water she'd start experimenting a bit more with it, returning to the campsite she swung her pack and then her guitar over her shoulders, finishng off some of the dried meat she hadn't eaten the night before. ready to start walking and learning she hovered somewhat eagerly,
pale eyes watching the other witch wondering what things would be taught first. Pulling ot the simple wooden flute she fiddled with it wondering if it was worth adding some decoration to it and for now deciding it wasn't worth it
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Waking to the crow pecking at his ear, Faolan grumbled softly in gaelic, swatting at the bird. Nawat merely hopped away with a cheeky caw before taking to the sky and flying off, his laughing call floating on the breeze back to them. Eyeing the girl, Faolan took in her eager stance and gave a sigh. “Ready to go then, youngster?” Packing up while he ate, he tipped dirt onto the embers of the fire, making sure it was put out completely before shouldering his bag and picking up the staff. “Come on then. What are your questions?” He truly didn’t mind the questions, and it was only a couple of days until they got to his home where he could start teaching her more. “Put up the wall in your mind again around your magic, practise keeping it there even doing other things.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Nodding she helped tip dirt onto the fire knowing the dangers of fire well, once that was done she fell into step and after he told her too put the wall back up in her mind. It was difficult remembering to keep it there when other things grabbed her attention but she tried "Can you really teach me to read? What do you read? Where did Nawat go? Did he come with the name or did you name him, how long have you had him? How long do witches live? Do familiars live as long as their witches? WHy aren't male witches called wizards?" lifting the flute to her lips she played a soft tune waiting for Faolans reply. It was nice that he was content to answer her many questions "have you had lots of students before? Whats your favourite colour? are crows your favourite animal? Is your home near the sea?" unable to keep her flute to her lips while so many questions teemed in her head she lowered it and fired off several more watching him hopefully
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Amused, he waited until she went silent again before even trying to answer her questions. Giving her a quick glance while he kept tabs on how she was dealing with her magic, he pushed a few bushes out of the way with his staff, uncaring that the crow had flown off. The cheeky bugger would come back when he wanted an easy meal. “Do you ever run out of questions?” Despite his words, they didn’t bother him at all, he was happy to answer them. “Yes, I can teach you to read. You’ll need to be able to in order to learn most of the more advanced spells. Nawat went off the cause mischief, he’ll be back when he wants a free feed. He came with the name, I’ve had him since I became a witch in my own right.” Ducking under the branch, he kept up the brisk pace from the day before, intent on making it to the next camping spot by nightfall. “Witches tend to live about seven hundred years or so, depending if they’re full witch, or a creature-witch mix. Wizards are a different type of magic user, they don’t use spells so much as just using instinctive magic.” Glad when she took a breath, he took advantage of it to run his fingers over the trees they were passing, getting the news of the morning from them. Listening to the new batch of questions, he almost laughed. She certainly was eager to learn. “I’ve had a few students, not many fresh ones though. Most are established witches who come to me for higher learning. My favourite colours?” he glanced at her, amusement twinkling in his gaze. “The green of leaves when the sun’s on them. Crows are one of my favourite animals, and no, not particularly.”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Tucking her flute away deciding to just focus on questions, her gaze flicked from where she was going to the mans face as he methodically answered her many questions.
Keeping up and digesting the information about reading to master more advanced spells the pit of her stomach dropped, how would she be able to read spells if her head kept messing up the letters? Not saying anything she missed a couple of answers before she came back to the present in time to dodge a tree, nodding quietly as he explained how long witches lived for and how they were different from wizards. Saoirse didn't miss the amusement in Faolans gaze when he answered a couple more of the more personal questions she'd asked him. Thinking about her own favourite colour was the sea and its ever changing hues of blue she reached up behind her and pulled her hair into a messy unkempt bun to keep it out of her way the wind a bit stronger and thus throwing her copper hair into her fair features. Keenly observing his movements, wondering what the trees were saying when he brushed his fingers over a few trunks, she fell silent for a while content to walk and listen to the songs of the natural world. Smiling almost shyly at the various song birds singing without restraint her thoughts slipped to the idea of familiars again, wondering if she'd be found by one and what animal it'd be she could guess it wouldn't be a sea animal as it'd mesh to well with her likely unless it was a squid. Hopefully it wasn't a squid, probably not a dog either although it being one would be nice, suddenly amused at her childishness she pushed the matter to the side. It wouldn't happen for quite a while so what was the point in worrying about it? Once they were on a bit more of a game trail with less bushes and branches to get in the way she resumed playing the flute
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Listening to her flute since she seemed to have run out of questions for the time being, it wasn’t long before he was reminding her about her mental wall. “Keep the wall up when you’re playing, remember. It’ll get easier over time.” Glad when they found the game trail he’d been aiming for, he steadied the pace a bit, letting her catch her breath while still pressing forward. “Once you can keep your magic separate from your music without fail, then you’ll learn how to control it with the songs. Until then, no magic with music.” He didn’t want her hurting herself, or anyone around her while she was still learning. His home however was the perfect place for teaching, since I was secluded and hard to find, so she’d be able to make as many mistakes as she wanted without fear of hurting anyone but him, and he was fairly confident she wouldn’t be able to do much. Reminded of what she’d asked the night before, he threw her a steady glance. “What’s the interest in selkies?”
Back to top Go down
Raven
Main account
Raven

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Quickly rectifying her mistake she paused her music until the wall was up again then she continued playing the haunting song that pierced the forest. The command that she was not to use magic with her music until she'd mastered the wall and keeping them apart, she became more determined to perfect it as she enjoyed channeling her magic through her music. At his probing question Saoirse didn't even bat an eyelid, pausing her song to reply calmly "I was taught some selkie songs, I'm curious about them" not about to reveal anythign about herself easily it'd become second nature of the past nine years to reveal as little about herself as humanely possible. Resuming the song she let the sad pealing song echo hauntingly through the forest until she reached its end, satisfied musically for now the flute was tucked away again, picking up her pace a little she took in the various prints on the game trail trying to figure out what animals had been there before her.  
Back to top Go down
Wyndy

Wyndy

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2017 9:34 pm

He nodded at the answer. “I know someone who’s well versed in selkie songs. Likely they’ll help you, they’re usually about water and the sea. Once you can control your magic well enough, we’ll pay him a visit and see what else you can learn.” With the music finished, he didn’t break the silence, busy instead listening to the sounds of the forest, and the news that the trees and ground were constantly telling him. If he really had to, he supposed he’d take her to his mother’s home, where she’d be able to learn more music, but that was going to depend on what else she needed to learn. He was reluctant to reveal the tiny elven village, even to a fellow witch. It could end up being disastrous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a Matter of Magic   Just a Matter of Magic - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just a Matter of Magic
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next